Today’s Friday Fun Facts is dedicated to something that I’ve said before–advice to undergrads for a successful term. I have to repeat it because each time more of you hear it! No, in all serious these points work for all of us.
1. Sleep. Sleep right! You are better able to deal with the day if you’ve had a good night’s sleep.
2. Eat. Eat right! Refer to the previous point and add eat and you get the point. You need the fuel to run efficiently–to run coherently.
3. Exercise. I love seeing my friends or students at the gym. It’s important to take care of yourself. And, you’ll find that you’re able to get some thinking done, when you’re at the gym.
4. Office hours. Office hours are not only the place to clarify points about a reading or an assignment, but also to chat about how you’re doing in the class. Remember that your instructor might be teaching 50 or 300 other students and one way to get them to know you is to be a great student and/or also be memorable (in a good way). Office hours is a useful time to have one on one interaction with your instructor.
5. Time Management. Keep up with the reading and work in your classes and you’ll have a less stressful term. Seriously.
All of the above will work for me, and I’m not a student anymore. The advice will also work well for those of you not in academe. To everyone, I wish you a successful January through April. Now, I only have to remember to follow my advice!