This week’s Friday Fun Facts is random. Things I’m getting better at and things I need to work on.
1. As much as it frustrates me, I am getting better at not chasing students for their late work. I will inquire once and then move on. Before I would ask and send multiple emails. But, there are only so many hours in the day and most students know that their work is late.
2. I’m also becoming more patient. I’m not sure what has happened here–maybe it has something to do with not having to suffer through terrible traffic and having everything relatively close to me, but I feel more zen than ever before in my life.
3. OK. Need to be honest here. I need to get better at having time off. I enjoy my job and am a workaholic and I have to remind myself or get reminded by my family to take time off. I won’t even bother listing the vacations where I took some work with me. Not taking my iPhone with me to California provides me a few weeks of stepping away from the grid for a bit. Yes, I still check in via my laptop, but I’m not as connected, which is a good thing. I need to repeat that–which is a good thing.
4. I am getting better at scoring poor work as a 0. I used to offer a mercy grade of a 30 or 40, but during the last two years I’ve come to realize that I don’t do the student a favor with the mercy grade.
5. I need to work on saying no! That’s right–I have a history of saying yes and then I’m suddenly over-committed.
Enjoy the weekend!