I haven’t done my Friday Fun Facts in a very long time, and it is not Friday. I thought that I would share five things about me that you may not know.
1. I worked at a Hallmark store and for a bank during most of my undergrad. One was the phone job, but both required that I work with the public. The Hallmark job enabled my obsession with great cards and post-cards. I try to send a card or two out every week to someone who has helped me.
2. I have consistently found good take aways from business management or business leadership books. Remember I have taught in the Social Sciences, Arts and Letters, or Humanities for my career, but I have found business books useful for project management and leadership.
3. I am the eldest of five siblings. And, most of what you know about eldest siblings applies. I’m not conservative, but most of the known characteristics applies and I tend to get along well with other eldest siblings. We gravitate toward one another.
4. I am an extrovert. I am more cognizant of my extreme extrovert traits and have to remind myself to dial it back, as I feel exuberant about my job and the things that I do. I think that the exuberance is amusing to my students and I am OK with that.
5. I love teaching. A switch goes on when I walk into the classroom—my classroom or another’s and I feel home. It sounds corny, but it is true.
The image is shared via @kmclellan I think I have his Twitter handle right.
This week’s version of facts is less personal and reflects my thoughts at work.
1. I assign a fair bit of reading.
2. I expect students to come to class prepared.
3. I hope that students review the syllabus on more than one occasion.
4. I really, really like my job. Think, talk, advise, and write for a living?!
5. I enjoy mentoring.
6. I enjoy my role as an Undergraduate Advisor.
7. Shoddy work bothers me.
8. When I say that I’m here to help, I mean it.
9. Office hours provides some of the best moments.
10. I respond to student emails promptly.
I doubt these are fun, but offers some insight into what I’m thinking now!
A friend’s blog post made me realize that it was time for me to share some information. Random musings and I’ll post this occasionally on a Friday.
Today’s Friday Facts are about me:
1. I’m a Cancer–yes, a crab. Some days it really fits.
2. I’m the oldest of five.
3. I cannot stand the smell of fish and do not eat fish.
4. I can’t tolerate gluten and dairy, but I occasionally eat them and pay a price.
5. I’ve been vegan before and am currently mostly vegetarian.
6. I have two Calico cats–Arwen and Hermione. Yes, one is names for a character in Lord of the Rings and the other from Harry Potter.
7. I am scared to death and fascinated by the reanimated dead–yes, zombies. Cringes.
8. I almost always have nuts in my bag or in my car. Good source of fast protein to even blood sugar.
9. Almost everyday I miss my family in California and the good weather.
10. I love to read–books, magazines, you name it. I always have reading material on me, in my car or in different locations around my house.