I am rounding out my two months of Spring Undergrad Advising for the department and thinking about how I help my students. I’ll place these thoughts in bullet form.
- I want to help them find out how they are doing with the course of their studies
- I enjoy giving them good advice
- I offer them advice about their course choices
- I inform them of any resources we have on campus that they might find useful
- And, the most important thing–is that I listen
I do prefer to advise face to face; however, more of my advising and mentoring is taking place online via email and on different platforms. For students enrolled where I teach, I can do some of the fact finding via email, but there are moments when a face to face is needed and I point this out and then it is up to them. The photo below is of turtles sunning at Cedar Hill Golf Course trail.